Disclaimer: The author is an award-winning writer of the book ‘5 Core Methods of Innovation’ and has no qualification in medical science. He is sharing his experiments and does not want you to follow any advice without consulting your personal physician.
While the body is still generating insulin, why are people getting type 2 diabetes? It has to be more related to the cells of the body not accepting blood sugar.
For nearly 15 years, I was with a single primary physician in New Jersey who always used to test my morning glucose level. As that used to come normal, he never raised an alarm.
In 2014, I got my A1c tested which came to 7.2 – and I was worried.
After that, I tried many many things to bring it down without medicines (like metformin) and after a lot of experiments, I have been able to bring it to 6.0 now. I can give my entire list of my experiments which would result in a book, but I would just share the list of it now:
To tell you my Eureka moment, I got cold in one of the winters, and I used a homeopathic medicine which can cure a cold rapidly. I checked my blood sugar and I found it was elevated after I took that medicine. This gave me some ideas. A second inkling came to me when I noticed that eggs alone do not raise blood sugar, but when you eat bread and eggs together, the blood sugar goes way higher than regular bread. Thirdly, I noticed that the days when you eat multi-vitamins, your blood sugar is higher. My fourth hint came from the observation that all the people who I knew as very athletic and who went to the gym regularly since at least last 20 years are all on pills to control diabetes now. On the other hand, many other people who are overweight and barely ever went to the gym still do not have diabetes. The fifth piece of information came after I met some famous Indian Ayurveda Doctors. As per the ancient science of Ayurveda, Vayu roga can cause diabetes. Vayu roga is caused due to excess heat generated in the body, cold and dry weather and indigestion of foods like Milk. Vayu roga patients are advised to eat Ghee, a form of clarified butter.
There are many different kinds of Type 2 Diabetes: In some cases, people have high morning blood sugar, in other cases, it is high after meals, in some cases fruits increase sugar, in other cases, it is the carbs that increase the sugar. In my case, my glucose levels were going high after eating carbs, but not much with fruits or candy. In fact, I noticed that foods with a lot of ghee (clarified butter) actually do not increase my glucose levels much in-spite of having sugar.
The essence of my experiments has been that all foods that increase heat and dryness in the body cause diabetes. While our bodies are still generating insulin, the cells of the body become dry due to excess heat and are not willing to absorb the sugar in the blood, thus causing elevated blood sugars.
Here are the recommendations based on my experiments, you may call in the “SHARMA DIET FOR DIABETES” 🙂
- Avoid all Dry fruits
- Avoid all multivitamins and any food supplements
- Avoid eggs completely
- Avoid cold salads, juices, and fruits. Some Fruits at normal room temperature are ok. To be safe, restrict to only Papaya and Onion for at least six months.
- Avoid milk products except what you put in Coffee or Tea. BTW, I drink only Tea. Milk needs to be avoided as the enzymes to digest milk dramatically go down after the age of 40 in most people and undigested milk results in many diseases. In Ayurveda, this matter produced from undigested foods is called ‘AAM’ that is a result of many many problems besides diabetes like joint pain and arthritis.
- Avoid alcohol and any foods prepared via fermentation
- Eat lots of boiled vegetables and moong dal beans.
- Avoid thick beans as those cause flatulence and indigestion
- Brisk walk after food both times at least 30 min. Exercise before meals is of limited use in controlling blood sugar but brisk walk after meals is very helpful.
- Eat light food like rice and bread from the fresh dough (preferably Diabetic rice and slow sugar release grains for dough)
- Drink lots of water, preferably warm
Always Remember: D for Dryness, D for Diabetes
The morning glucose levels are controlled by Liver and it is important to avoid alcohol completely to control it. You can also take some tonic/medicine for liver like Liv 52 for a couple of weeks.